Sunday, September 21, 2008

Paulo Coelho : The Influence



They are only a cluster of words. But they churn my mind to spill out hidden memories, familiar feelings and hidden meanings. They hook me irrespective of the time and place, to mull over and over wondering how it is what it is.


He hits me every time and hits me at the right thought. He is Paulo Coelho, my favourite author. Some of his books that I read and liked:
The Alchemist
By the river Piedra, I sat down and wept
The Zahir
Veronica decides to die
The Witch of Portobello


I say to my friends: He must be really mad to write this kind of stuff. No wonder his family sent him to the mental asylum twice. Hmm… we connect very well.



Here are few lines from the book “The Witch of Portobello” that hooked my mind for quite sometime.



No one lights a lamp in order to hide it behind the door :
The purpose of light is
to create more light,
to open people's eyes,
to reveal the marvels around

Don’t confuse the teacher with the lesson, the ritual with the ecstasy, the transmitter of the symbol with the symbol itself.

What is a teacher? I'll tell you: it isn't someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of her best in order to discover what she already knows.

The light is unstable, the wind blows it out, the lightning ignites it, It is never simply there, shining like the sun, but it is worth fighting for

Faith is not desire. Faith is will. Desires are things that need to be satisfied, whereas Will is a force. Will changes the space around us. But for that, you also need desire.



1 comment:

dove_dd said...

hey Aart!

Thanks for the link.

I loved your blog!